Let’s start this by saying thank you very much to the person whose recipe I am using. I so badly wish that I had kept track of where I got the recipe, but of course when I was writing it down, I did not have the courtesy to give credit where it was due, and now when I would like to do that I cannot. Sorry!!
OK, so time out, I found it. It was on Pinterest though I had forgotten to pin it. I have it now. She calls it Minimal Monday: Rhubarb Butter and the site is: The view from Great Island. So, of course I adapted it to suit my needs, but I know enough about canning and baking to know that they are chemical reactions and you can’t just mess with them as you do with cooking. First off here is what mine looked like in the end.
The original was a bit pinker and shown in a very pretty cup, but this is what I did. Paulina was expecting it to taste like applesauce because it looked a bit like that. I added cinnamon for the flavor so that might have been part of it. Here is the recipe, and my adjustments. First off I doubled it, so you will see the doubled amount as the real deal.
2 pounds of washed and diced rhubarb. (I checked it out pretty carefully and that is the same as 8 cups) It just happened that I had about 6.5 cups out of what I picked this morning. I added the rest from the bag in the freezer, and it worked out great.
Put the rhubarb, with 1 cup of sugar and 6 TB spoons of lemon juice and about 2 TB spoons of water. I used my really large stock pot so that I wouldn’t have any trouble with boiling over. I put it on medium and turned it to simmer. I let it simmer for a long time. I also used a masher and ground it up a bit. I happened to let the lemon and sugar set on the rhubarb for a bit before the cooking started just because I needed to get lunch out of the way so Paulina could get to work. This seemed to be a great plan and I would do that for sure. The sugar breaks down the fruit a little.
The original recipe says to run it through a jelly strainer, but I found that if I did it just a couple of ladles at a time, the blender on puree worked just great, and there was no loss of any of the product. After it was all pureed, I poured it back into the pot and let it simmer for over an hour. This will depend on how wet the rhubarb is to begin.
At this point you can add a bit of flavoring, some might like to add a little food color too, I didn’t. Here is where I needed to taste. I know that with canning, you never change the lemon or whatever you add to make the acid level safe, but the sugar, now that is a matter of taste. At this point I chose the 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and then I threw in another 1/2 cup of sugar. It is tart, but not so very bad, and I am adamant that rhubarb is all about the soil it is in, so some probably has more tartness and some a bit less. Other flavorings in the original recipe include 1 teaspoon of vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom. I ended up with 4 1/2 pints, so all in all it was a good deal. The picture at the top is the amount left over. James was happy to sample at supper.